Skip to main content

The Shared House: Treasury Debt, Free Trade, and the True Cost of American Prosperity

The Shared House: Weimar Wheelbarrows, Off-the-Run Treasuries, and Bessent’s Balance Sheet Play

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has been front and center, vocal, active, and shifting focus directly onto our National Debt. When we talk about national economic strategy, it is easy to get lost in institutional terminology... yield curves, maturity windows, and Treasury buybacks. But at its core, managing a nation's finances is not much different from managing a house you share with 330 million roommates.

Back when I worked as a Realtor in my late 20s, I looked at public property through a simple lens: it is property we all bought together. Everyone of us owns it, collaboratively. You can use the street in front of my house... It is yours too, equally and equitably... but you cannot just leave something there... forever. If you need to park to visit my neighbor... go ahead, park. Want to park and go for a random walk around my cul-de-sac... it is all yours. Constitutionally protected... But when you co-own a house with ten other people, freedom is not permission to act without limits... it is a commitment to shared etiquette. The street outside my home is not private territory, but it is not an open dump either. You cannot over-extend your usage of it, exploit it, damage it, or degrade it. You can trash your own private living room if you choose, but the moment you step outside, you are standing in OUR house. Neglecting public property is not just bad behavior... it is a direct violation of the social contract we all signed to live together.

The national debt, our economy, and the monetary system we all share belong to all of us. Public property and national debt belong to all of us, and the people managing it are managing our collective household.

The Specter of the Wheelbarrow

I recently shared with a family member that I might start sending Bessent Christmas cards. That led to a conversation with one of her co-workers who was squawking, angrily, about the National Debt. I have a wide view, and I tried to explain my perspective using my Real Estate analogy regarding how our debt functions. I know my views are unique, and I think a lot of people simply recite what they heard from their favorite political figure without much thought. They are cheering at a football game in front of a TV camera... "The National Debt went up!"

I would think everyone learned from post-World War I Germany, the Weimar Hyperinflation as it was called, after they tried conquering a huge number of other established people. In business class, we were given a publication showing people walking to a grocery store with a wheelbarrow. It did not have soil, produce, or something heavy inside... rather, it was full of paper money, and those Germans were on their way to buy basic food.

I think the Treasury Secretary is, on paper, on the issuer side of the table... while we are on the same side of the table as the people with the wheelbarrows. We are using the nation's money to barter. In fact, when I hear the economy is inflating, I see both sides of the propaganda. But as a consumer, I know more money is coming into circulation, and I fear the wheelbarrows heading to the store.

Today, like other Western democracies, we are off the Gold Standard. The money you have is stored in a data center... which is a bit of a satirical joke because people are so afraid of data centers today. I always want to know who the engineer was, and what data center he was building that sucked water out of the ground and just dumped it down the sewer... who was that person??

Setting jokes aside, we are in a very different society today. The fear that monetary expansion can go rapid should be front-and-center to all of us with a thought on the matter. Yet here we are, surrounded by crazy overspending, with hopes that the Government... which is really just all of us... will bail out the person who failed to manage their portion of the shared economy.

Stepping Into the Issuer's Shoes: On-the-Run vs. Off-the-Run

Let me step back and share my views on Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent’s recent strategy of conducting targeted buybacks. To my understanding, he is purchasing back $6 billion of Treasury securities in the 10- to 20-year maturity range... at a discount.

When it comes to Treasuries, which I appreciate, accumulate, and use to create a safer life capable of augmenting expenses, there are two variants. This becomes confusing because we have to step into the Treasury's shoes. We were standing there looking at these paper notes in our slippers, but now we are lacing up fancy dress shoes and looking at the opposite side... where we were seeing the back, they are seeing the front.

  • On-the-Run Treasuries: These are new issues. Ten or twenty years down the road, the Treasury will buy them back at face value. Along the run, the Treasury pays semi-annual interest payments. So you get your percentage, and then you get your principal back at the end. New issues are currently paying well over 5.2%... just recently I saw 5.238%, which was exciting to see.

  • Off-the-Run Treasuries: These are older issues trading in the secondary market. Long-term Treasuries are marketable securities, so we can purchase older issues through brokers like E*TRADE at an agreed-upon price between buyer and seller.

Hold the phone for a second... there is an interest rate from the original date of issue tied to those older, Off-the-Run bonds. Twenty years ago, rates were low... 1% or 2%. So what are you going to pay for something showering you with 1% of face value until maturity? A $1,000 bond at 1% pays just $10 per year... barely enough for a cup of coffee at 7Brew with a generous tip.

Meanwhile, an investor can go buy an On-the-Run bond paying 5.2%+. The new higher yields from recent auctions greatly reduce the value of Off-the-Run resales. It is a direct layer of Efficient Market Theory... the market balances out to make the yields comparable.

The Math Behind Bessent's Move

Because those longer-term Off-the-Run bonds are trading at a heavy discount relative to their original par value, buying them back now allows the Treasury to retire debt at a lower upfront price.

  • The Short-Term Gain: It immediately reduces the total principal amount of outstanding debt on the balance sheet for fewer nominal dollars today.

  • The Long-Term Trade-off: While it offers an immediate reduction in total obligation, replacing or restructuring debt by issuing new bonds in a higher interest rate environment can alter long-term interest costs down the road. This was pointed out by other financial analysts who quickly jumped on the "bad move" bandwagon.

Essentially, the Treasury is obtaining the money to buy back the Off-the-Run assets using money from On-the-Run issues... our manager is kicking the can down the road. But it is all relative in my opinion. He is not buying back every single Off-the-Run issue that is for sale.

Running through Facebook and YouTube videos, I was overwhelmed with negativity toward this move. I do not know who manages their bills, but I do not see the catastrophe they are claiming. Let us grab a coffee and look at the actual math:

  1. The National Debt: Roughly $40,000,000,000,000 ($40 Trillion).

  2. The Buyback: $6,000,000,000 ($6 Billion).

  3. The Calculation: 6 * 100 = 600. Then 600 / 40,000,000 = 0.000015. Multiply that by 100 to get the percentage... 0.0015% of the National Debt.

Bessent is buying back 0.0015% of the debt. Yes, in the long run, replacing older debt with higher-yielding new debt can contribute to inflation as On-the-Run issues mature. But that is the foundation of our current economic model... we are taught that the system has to inflate, or things will get far worse.

Free Trade and the Offshore Labor Paradigm

This brings us to a larger, structural issue facing the American economy... one that traces back decades to the expansion of unrestricted free trade policies popularized in the Reagan era. I think America is in trouble, and that decision put us here.

When a nation embraces free trade with countries that pay very little and have minimal labor protections, it creates a fundamental contradiction. It is an adaptation or an enhancement of exploitation... paying people pennies overseas so that we can have richer lives and more property. We outsourced our industrial base to exploit cheap global labor so we could enjoy low consumer prices and high material consumption.

The average person does not have the understanding or thought to fully induce this concept, but it is a very bad situation. I do not think we are supposed to or meant to live better than we are... we are living pretty good in the United States, but free trade put us in the situation we are in now.

The Cost to the American Roommate

The unintended consequences of this model are visible across our entire landscape today:

  • Erosion of Quality Jobs: There are very few good jobs left compared to the past. The middle-class manufacturing and trade jobs that once provided stable, single-income family security were exported.

  • Illusion of Wealth: We filled our lives with cheaper consumer products, but the underlying structural stability of the average American household deteriorated.

  • The Shared Burden: When you drain the domestic economy of productive work, the shared household begins to break down.

We are living in a society accustomed to high consumption, but the foundation supporting it has been hollowed out. Managing national property requires real stewardship... not just immediate financial fixes on a spreadsheet, but protecting the long-term viability of the people living inside the house.

US Treasury to Buy Up to $6 Billion in Long-Dated Debt



Popular posts from this blog

How to Add Beneficiaries on E*TRADE Without Losing Your Mind

“Because your money should go where you want it, not where the probate court thinks it should, I am sharing this information.” Ah, E*TRADE. The place where your money grows, your trades execute (sometimes), and your hopes for financial freedom flutter like a candlestick chart on a volatile Thursday. But what happens if you kick the bucket before you get that Tesla stock to moon? Simple: you assign a beneficiary. Unfortunately, E*TRADE doesn’t make this as intuitive as you might think. This isn’t a “click here and boom, you’re immortal” situation. But fear not, fellow capitalist. I’ve braved the pixelated jungle so you don’t have to. 🛠️ Step-by-Step: Setting a Beneficiary for Your E*TRADE Brokerage Account (aka “How to ensure your money doesn’t end up in your ex’s lap or your neighbor's GoFundMe”) Log in at etrade.com . (Obvious, yes. But worth saying—this isn’t Webkinz, you need the real site.) At the top, click “Accounts” and select your Brokerage Account . (The on...

Understanding Treasury Bond Auctions: The Difference Between High Yield and Interest Rate

Treasury bonds are a popular choice for investors looking for a reliable source of income backed by the U.S. government. However, understanding how these bonds are priced at auction can be confusing, especially when comparing the High Yield and the Interest Rate (Coupon Rate) columns. In this post, I'll break it down using a real-world example.  A Look at a Recent Treasury Bond Auction Here’s an example of a 20-year Treasury bond that was recently auctioned: Security Term CUSIP Reopening Issue Date Maturity Date High Yield Interest Rate 20-Year 912810UF3 Yes 01/31/2025 11/15/2044 4.900% 4.625% What Do These Numbers Mean? CUSIP : This is a unique identifier for the bond. Reopening : Since it says "Yes," this means the bond was originally issued earlier and is now being reoffered. Issue Date : January 31, 2025—this is when the bond will be offi...

NJ's Middle-Class Squeeze: Too Much for Help, Not Enough for Comfort

This is a long post — longer than what I usually write — because what I’m talking about here isn’t a small annoyance or a passing frustration. It’s something that has been building for years, and I’m finally putting it all into words. I’m upset, I’m exhausted, and I’m passionate about what follows, because it affects every working person in this state who’s trying to stay afloat. There’s a growing group in New Jersey — people who work full‑time, sometimes more than one job, who earn too much to qualify for assistance but not enough to absorb the constant increases in living costs. These are the people tightening their budgets, lowering their thermostats, cutting back wherever they can, and still watching their bills rise for reasons that have nothing to do with their own usage or behavior. If you’re part of that group, or you know someone who is, then what follows will probably resonate with you. And if you’re not, then I hope this gives you a clearer picture of what the middle class i...